"Join our TEAM!! Where no one sits on the bench!!
"CROSS ICE HOCKEY for INITIATION and TYKE
PLAYERS at The Galt Minor Hockey School will play CROSS ICE HOCKEY...FOR THE FUN OF IT
More children get the chance to play hockey
More children will experience a feeling of success when playing hockey
All children, regardless of talent level, will benefit from close action Children are excited and motivated to start and continue playing hockey
Hockey will be more appealing & rewarding to a wider range of children
Benefits Of Cross Ice Hockey
- More children get a chance to play hockey.
- 24 active players on the ice on 3 cross ice pads vs 12 players in a full ice game with players sitting on the bench waiting to play.
- Hockey IQ, or understanding the principles of the game, is being developed at a young age.
- More children will experience a feeling of success when playing hockey.
- The same exciting and fun environment as in a “real” game is created.
- Both more and less gifted children will benefit from close/tight action on the ice.
- Children are excited and motivated to continue playing hockey.
- Hockey will be more appealing and rewarding to a wider range of children and their parents.
- Group sizes become smaller which means learning and teaching will become more effective.
- The close feeling of belonging to a team will motivate a child to participate with even greater enthusiasm.
- More repetition/frequency in drills in one ice session.
- More frequent line changes in the game means more ice time for each player.
- The feeling of being an important part of the action increases because of the small size of the rink.
- The children have more energy with which they can improve their skills when they are skating 85 feet across the ice surface as opposed to the 200 foot length of the ice surface.
- Playing on a smaller surface allows for more puck contact resulting in improved puck control skills.
- Decision-making skills are enhanced as more decisions must be made more frequently at a higher tempo.
- Individual technical skills develop more quickly.
- Scoring skills are enhanced since the players have more shooting opportunities and the child sized goal nets (Not Mandatory) force the players to shoot more accurate.
- More repetition for goalkeeper’s which improves reading of the game and reaction to changing game situations becomes more effective.
- The game is full of continuously changing situations.
- The speed in playing situations increases, which will require quicker mental and physical reactions by the players this is because there are no unnecessary breaks in the game
CROSS ICE HOCKEY VS FULL ICE HOCKEY
6x more shots on goal/player
5x more passes received/player
2x more puck battles/player
2x puck touches/player
2x more pass attempts/player
2x more change of direction/pivots
1.75 shots/minute vs 0.45 playing full ice